Wouldn’t it be nice to have a clear desk and productivity in your life and business? A clutter free desk is not always reality for me, because I am a piler. An organizing client asked me, “What is a piler”. I said, “They’re two people in this world; those who just take their pieces of paper and stack them in piles all over their desk and there are others who file things away promptly”.
Whenever I read great articles online, I print them for ideas and print emails of things to do. Then I put the papers on my desk. In addition, I have on my desk: mail, books, notepads, and my planner.
With a full schedule at times, my desk gets neglected for a couple of weeks and look very messy. So many things can be accomplished with our smart phones and iPhones that I do not have to be at my desk and computer. I realized that in order to be creative with my writing, I had to make changes. One of the changes was to have a clear desk and productivity.
Here are the 8 tips for your clear desk and productity
- Sort paperwork
- Toss paperwork that is no longer needed or relevant
- Create a pile of things to do and read
- My quick filing solution – I have a clear bin 14″x10″x5″, all paper and receipts go in there and then I deal with it tax time
- Use color binder clips to keep pages in order according to categories, paper clips get tangled. Place a sticky note on top to remind you of what action will be taken or if it is an idea
- My categories could be bills, record keeping, blog ideas, people to connect with, web updates, new products, upcoming speaking engagements, and calls to make
- Jot down ideas in one common notebook to avoid little pieces of paper
- Record in your calendar actions items and dates to be implemented
Once all the paperwork is in neat binder clips and stacked in a couple of piles on my desk; it is easier for me to be productive. I can then look at the stacks and decide what needs to be taken care of or what I want to do first. Being intentional is the best use of my time and I love a clear desk and productivity.
Lisa Giesler, Professional Organizer, Consultant, Coach, Speaker, Author of Uncluttered: discovering strength and purpose in the chaos of life & My Life is a Mess: Organizing 101